The Villain Gets the Divorce Papers
Well. Apparently, we’ve reached the part of the story where I become the villain.
How convenient.
He walks away with the clean hands. The calm face.
The poor misunderstood man who tried his best.
And I? Apparently I’m the ungrateful wife. The woman who is filing for divorce.
Excellent. What a beautifully edited version of events.
I almost admire the production value.
Because apparently if you leave enough chapters out of the story, you can make almost anyone look like the hero.
And congratulations to him. He gets to walk out looking like the good guy.
Good guy? My ass.
Let's talk about this magical version of the story where I apparently woke up one morning and thought: You know what would make my life more exciting? Divorce.
Because obviously women love divorce.
It's such a fun hobby. You get paperwork. Lawyers.
Financial uncertainty. Family questions. Emotional exhaustion.
And, if you're really lucky, people judging you for supposedly destroying your own marriage.
Five stars. Would absolutely recommend.
Apparently I'm supposed to be grateful for everything and therefore I'm not allowed to say: "This marriage is no longer working for me.”
Because gratitude apparently comes with a lifetime contract.
If someone gives you something, apparently you owe them your silence forever.
How convenient.
So let's rewrite the story properly. I didn't wake up one day and decide I hated my husband.
I didn't randomly throw away a perfectly happy marriage because I got bored.
I didn't suddenly become an ungrateful wife because divorce sounded fashionable.
There was a history. There were two years of long distance before marriage.
There were years of marriage after that. There were compromises.
There were things I changed about myself. There were things I gave up.
There were periods of waiting. Silence. Distance. Confusion. Trying. And trying again.
And somewhere along the way, I became so accustomed to compromising that I almost forgot compromise was supposed to be mutual.
But apparently none of that makes the final cut.
No.
The official story is much cleaner: Wife files for divorce.
Cue the sad music. Cue the poor husband.
Cue the audience whispering: “How could she do this to such a good man?”
Oh, please. If we're going to tell fairy tales, at least hire a better editor.
Because I'm not interested in carrying the role of villain simply because I'm the one who finally has the courage to put an ending on something that has already been emotionally dying for a long time.
And here's the most deliciously ridiculous part: He told me to start the divorce process.
Then somehow I become the villain for doing exactly what he told me to do. 😂
That's not irony. That's practically performance art.
Imagine telling someone: “Start the divorce documentation.”
And then later allowing the story to become: “She wanted the divorce.”
Ah. Brilliant. Ten out of ten for narrative gymnastics.
So yes. Put my name on the paperwork.
Make me the woman who “asked for the divorce.”
Let that be the convenient headline.
Because apparently nobody wants to read the footnotes.
The footnotes are messy. The footnotes contain years.
The footnotes contain compromises.
The footnotes contain a woman who slowly stopped recognizing herself.
The footnotes contain every time she wondered whether she was asking for too much when she was actually asking for the bare minimum.
The footnotes contain the silence.The distance.
The emotional starvation. The end less uncertainty.
But those aren't as pretty as: “She left.”
So fine. Let me be the villain.
Villains are allowed to tell the truth.
And here's mine: I am not ungrateful.
I'm exhausted. There is a difference.
I can acknowledge what someone has done for me without signing away my right to say: This life is no longer something I can continue living.
Gratitude doesn't require self-abandonment.
Being thankful doesn't mean I owe someone my future.
And being the person who eventually says “enough” doesn't erase everything that happened before that word.
Maybe I am the villain in someone else's version.
Good. I've spent too much of my life trying to be the good girl.
The agreeable wife. The understanding woman. The one who compromises.
The one who waits. The one who stays quiet. The one who behaves.
I'm tired of auditioning for sainthood.
Especially when the prize is another decade of disappearing.
So go ahead. Tell the story.
Make him the good guy. Make me the ungrateful wife.
Make me the woman who destroyed the marriage.
I'll survive the misunderstanding.
Because I know what happened inside the rooms nobody else was standing in.
And I don't need a courtroom of strangers to validate my memories.
I know how much I gave. I know how much I changed.
I know how long I stayed.
And I know that eventually, staying became more expensive than leaving.
So if the villain is the woman who finally refuses to keep sacrificing herself for a marriage that no longer has a future— fine.
I'll wear the fucking cape.
At least villains get to stop pretending. And maybe that's the real ending.
He gets to walk away looking like the good guy. I get to walk away looking like the villain.
But I get to walk away as myself.
And after everything I've lost trying to be somebody's perfect wife— I'll take the villain role.
It fits much better than pretending I'm grateful for my own disappearance.
No comments:
Post a Comment