“I met your dad and everything finished.”
That's how it arrived. Not with thunder. Not with a slammed door.
Not with the cinematic cruelty I apparently deserved after spending years inside this story.
Just a WhatsApp message. A few lines on a screen.
And then:
“You should start on the process of divorce documentation and let me know when you need support from me financially or others.”
“Thanks.”
Thanks. There it is.
The final punctuation mark on a marriage.Thanks.
I almost laughed. Not because it was funny.
Because sometimes the human brain doesn't know what else to do when something hurts in a way too absurd to comprehend.
Years of long distance. Then marriage.
Years of trying to make two lives fit inside the same frame.
Compromises. Waiting. Changing.
Losing pieces of myself so gradually I didn't notice the theft until there was less of me left in the mirror.
And after all that— Thanks.
No eulogy. No flowers. No moment of silence. Just paperwork.
Apparently, even marriages now die by administrative procedure.
How efficient. How modern. How deeply fucking romantic.
I suppose I should be grateful he didn't send me a customer satisfaction survey.
How would you rate your experience?
One star. Would not recommend. Major emotional damage.
Would definitely not purchase again.
And the strangest part? He had already met my dad.
We had already stood in the same room.
There was already an ending sitting between us, apparently.
But nobody said the word. Not then. Not to me.
The word arrived later. Digitally. Cleanly.
Without having to look at my face.
Divorce.
There. Now it has a name.
And before anyone decides this must be the desperate writing of a woman who wants her husband back—
No. I'm not writing a love letter disguised as grief.
I don't want him back. I don't want the marriage back. I don't want another round.
I've already lived through the part where I tried to become easier to love.
I changed my hair. My clothes. My makeup. My perfume.
Even pieces of my personality. I learned to behave. I learned to tiptoe.
I learned how to make myself smaller without making noise about it.
And somehow, after all that effort, I still ended up here.
So no.
I'm not asking for another chance. I'm mourning something else.
The absurdity of the ending.
The fact that something can occupy years of your life and then be dismissed in three sentences.
The fact that you can spend so long trying to hold something together and discover that the final act is simply someone handing you a checklist.
Start the process.
Okay. I will. But here's what I won't do.
I won't turn his decision into a verdict on my worth.
I won't sit here and decide that because one man stopped choosing me, I must somehow be fundamentally unlovable.
I won't spend the rest of my life trying to become the perfect woman someone might finally decide to keep.
I've retired from that position.
The vacancy is closed.
And perhaps that's the darkest joke of all.
I thought losing the marriage would mean losing myself.
Instead, I'm beginning to realize I lost myself inside it.
And now I'm getting her back. The woman who laughed too loudly.
The woman who liked her jeans. The woman who wore perfume.
The woman who put on makeup because she felt like it.
The woman who was lively before someone taught her to confuse silence with good behavior.
She's still here. Buried under the compromises.
Buried under the waiting.
Buried under the version of me who spent too long wondering whether she was enough.
She's coming back. And this time, she's not asking permission.
So go ahead. Call it finished. Close the chapter. Send the paperwork.
Sign the documents. Let the lawyers have their feast.
Apparently the corpse of a marriage needs several photocopies before it can finally be buried.
Fine. I'll bring the documents. But don't confuse my willingness to sign with surrender.
I'm not losing. I'm leaving the battlefield. There is a difference.
And maybe one day I'll look back at this message and realize it wasn't the moment my life ended.
It was the moment the waiting did. Because he can end the marriage.
He can close the door. He can write: Everything finished.
But he doesn't get the final word.
The marriage may be finished. The woman I became inside it is finished too.
But I am not.
No comments:
Post a Comment