Wednesday, 23 September 2026

I am the Villain

Congratulations, You’ve Been Cast as the Good Guy. Well.

Apparently we’ve reached the part of the story where the marriage ends, the paperwork begins, and somehow I’m the villain.

What an impressive little plot twist.

I didn't know divorce came with character assignments. Apparently it does.

He gets: Good Guy.

I get: Ungrateful Wife.

What a bargain.

Years of relationship history, reduced to two character descriptions and one convenient headline.

He walks away. Calm. Clean. Possibly even sympathetic.

And somewhere, I imagine, the audience is nodding solemnly : Poor man. He tried. She filed for divorce.

Ah. There it is. The magic trick.

Leave out everything that happened before the final scene and suddenly the person holding the paperwork becomes the villain.

Brilliant. David Copperfield would be proud.

Because apparently the story begins at the divorce filing.

Not before. Not during.

Certainly not with the years of things that brought us here.  

No. That would make the plot annoyingly complicated.

And we can't have that. We need a simple story.

Good husband. Ungrateful wife. She wanted out.

Roll credits.

Please ignore the thousands of invisible scenes that didn't make the trailer. 😂

Honestly, if this were a movie, I'd complain about the writing.

The protagonist disappears for half the film, then suddenly returns in the final act to announce: “Everything finished.”

And somehow the woman left holding the consequences becomes the villain.

Marvelous. Ten out of ten. 

No notes. Except maybe what the actual fuck?

Because here's what makes me laugh. He told me to start the divorce process.

He literally told me:  Start the documentation.

And now I'm apparently the one choosing divorce. 

That's some Olympic-level narrative gymnastics. 

I didn't know we were doing competitive storytelling.

Should I have brought a scorecard?

Difficulty: 9.8

Execution: suspiciously impressive.

Historical accuracy: absolutely fucking not.


And no, I'm not saying I was a perfect wife. I wasn't. 

I'm human. I made mistakes. I had flaws.

I had moments where I was angry, difficult, emotional, stubborn, tired, confused.

Welcome to marriage. Nobody gets issued a halo with their marriage certificate.

But ungrateful? That's where I have questions.

Because gratitude is not a lifetime contract.

Being grateful for what someone once gave you does not mean you owe them your future.

I can appreciate the good things that happened and still admit that the marriage became something I could no longer live inside.

Both things can be true.

I can say: “Thank you for what was good.”

And also: “This is no longer good for me.”

Apparently that's considered villain behavior now.

Fine. Maybe I'm a villain.

But if I'm going to be the villain, at least let me enjoy the costume.

Give me the cape. Give me the dramatic lighting.

Give me the unnecessarily expensive black dress.

If I'm going down, I'm going down with excellent eyeliner.

Because I'm done trying to convince everyone that I'm the good woman.

The understanding woman. The patient woman. 

The woman who keeps compromising. The woman who keeps waiting.

The woman who keeps swallowing her feelings because somebody might misunderstand them.

I've done that. For years.

And what did it buy me?  A starring role in: THE UNGRATEFUL WIFE: A Convenient Retelling

Coming soon to absolutely nobody who actually knows the whole story. 😂


The funniest part is that people love judging the person who finally says enough.

They don't see the thousand tiny moments before enough. They see the door closing.

They don't see the years someone spent standing inside the doorway wondering whether they should leave.

They see the final decision. They don't see the indecision that came before it.

They see the divorce papers. They don't see the nights. The waiting. The compromises.

The versions of yourself you quietly abandoned because you thought love required you to become easier to keep.

That part isn't photogenic. So naturally, it gets cut.

But I remember. I remember what I gave. I remember what I changed.

I remember how much of myself I edited.

And I remember the woman I used to be before I became so careful.

So if the official story needs a villain— fine.

Give me the role. I've spent enough time trying to be everyone's favorite version of me.

Maybe being misunderstood is the price of finally being honest.

And here's the funny thing about villains: 

They don't usually spend years begging to be understood. They eventually get tired.

They stop explaining. They stop defending every decision.

They stop knocking on doors that don't open.

They stop asking why someone couldn't love them differently.

They simply leave the fucking castle.

So tell whatever version makes you comfortable.

Call me ungrateful. Call me selfish. 

Call me the woman who filed. Call me the one who ended it.

I'll survive the label. Because I'd rather be misunderstood while rebuilding my life...

than perfectly understood while destroying myself to keep someone else's version of the story intact.

And if he gets to walk away wearing the halo— congratulations.

Keep it. I'm not interested in sainthood anymore.

I've discovered something much more useful.

Freedom.

And frankly, it looks better on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment