Everything Finished
“I met your dad and everything finished.”
That was the opening line.
Then came the instructions. “You should start on the process of divorce documentation and let me know when you need support from me financially or others.” “Thanks.”
Thanks.
Nothing says the end of a marriage quite like a polite little “Thanks” at the bottom.
No dramatic ending. No final conversation. No I’m sorry. No take care.
No acknowledgment that there were actual human beings inside this story.
Just: Everything finished. Please process divorce. Thanks.
Apparently my marriage has been downgraded from a relationship to an administrative task.
Somewhere, a spreadsheet is probably very proud of itself.
I almost admire the efficiency. Years of long-distance. Then marriage.
Years of trying. Compromising. Waiting. Changing. Loving.
Losing pieces of myself so quietly that I didn't even notice they were gone until I looked in the mirror.
And the grand finale? “Please start the divorce documentation.”
Oh. Okay.
I suppose Shakespeare really did miss an ending. He should have tried WhatsApp.
Because this wasn't even said when we met.
That's the part that makes it feel particularly surreal.
We had already stood in the same room. We had already looked at each other.
He had already walked away.
And somehow the divorce announcement waited until today to arrive on my phone like an overdue delivery.
Congratulations! Your marriage has been successfully discontinued.
Please collect your emotional damage at the nearest counter.
Bring identification. Photocopies required. No refunds.
Honestly, whoever designed adulthood deserves jail time.
Because nobody tells you that one day you can wake up married and by lunchtime you're researching lawyers.
Not because someone died. Not because someone cheated five minutes ago.
Not because the world exploded.
Just because somewhere along the way, the thing you were fighting to preserve quietly became something the other person no longer wanted.
And now you're supposed to be civilized about it.
Please proceed calmly to the divorce department.
Of course. I'll try not to bleed on the paperwork.
And before anyone mistakes this for a woman secretly hoping to get her husband back— No.
Absolutely fucking not.
I don't want the marriage back. I don't want the old relationship back.
I don't want to rewind time. I've already lived that version.
I've already done the compromising. I've already learned how to make myself smaller.
I've already learned how to watch my own personality like it was a dangerous animal that might disturb somebody.
I'm done.
What I wasn't prepared for was how brutally ordinary the ending would feel.
Because the beginning had promises. The middle had compromises.
And apparently the ending gets documentation.
Romance really is dead. It just died with excellent administrative organization.
And here's the part I'm still trying to understand:
I spent the last year holding on. Not because I was stupid.
Not because I couldn't see what was happening.
Because I wasn't ready. Financially. Emotionally. Practically.
I didn't have a job. I didn't have a safety net.
I didn't know what the future would look like without the marriage.
So I waited. And now I have my answer. Not the answer I wanted.
Not necessarily the answer I feared.
Just the answer. Start the divorce process.
Fine. Then let's start. But here's where the story changes.
Because he can decide that the marriage is finished.
He can decide he doesn't want it anymore.
He can ask for the paperwork. He can close that chapter.
But he doesn't get to decide what the ending does to me.
He doesn't get to turn those years into proof that I wasn't worthy.
He doesn't get to make me believe I wasn't lovable because he stopped choosing me.
And he certainly doesn't get to take the woman I used to be with him.
She stays with me. The loud one. The playful one.
The woman who wore jeans. The woman who wore perfume.
The woman who put on makeup.
The woman who laughed without checking whether she was being too much.
The woman who didn't have to rehearse her personality before entering a room.
That woman is coming back.
Not because he left. Because I finally stopped leaving myself.
So yes. I'll deal with the paperwork. I'll find the lawyer. I'll sign what needs signing.
I'll learn whatever ridiculous bureaucratic ritual comes next.
Apparently the final chapter of my marriage is going to involve photocopies.
How glamorous. But I'm not going to beg. I'm not going to chase.
I'm not going to audition for another chance. I'm not going to replace him.
And I'm certainly not going to spend the rest of my life trying to prove that I was worthy of being loved.
I was. I am.
His decision doesn't get to rewrite that.
So if “everything finished” is what he wants to call it— fine.
Let the marriage finish. Let the waiting finish.
Let the version of me who kept shrinking finish. Let the paperwork begin.
Because there is one thing he forgot to include in his little closing statement:
He may have finished the marriage. He didn't finish me.
And unfortunately for the universe— I'm still here.
No comments:
Post a Comment