Nothing dramatic. No screaming. No slammed doors.
No dramatic airport chase. No one running after anyone in the rain.
No soundtrack. Apparently real heartbreak doesn't come with a fucking production budget.
Just a familiar face. A few ordinary words. A strange kind of silence.
And then I went home and somehow opened a drawer in my head that I apparently forgot to lock.
Everything was still there. All the little pieces. The things I stopped doing.
The things I stopped saying. The things I stopped wearing.
The parts of myself I quietly put away because apparently they were becoming inconvenient.
Too loud. Too playful. Too expressive. Too emotional.
Too opinionated. Too much.
So I became less. And called it compromise.
Cute. Very healthy.
Nothing says functional adult relationship quite like slowly deleting yourself and calling it emotional maturity.
I used to think losing yourself would be some grand tragedy.
A spectacular collapse. A before-and-after moment.
Instead, it was administrative. Painfully fucking administrative.
One little adjustment. Approved.
One preference surrendered. Approved.
One reaction softened. Approved.
One joke swallowed. Approved. One piece of personality quietly removed from the system.
Congratulations. Your update has been successfully installed.
Who needs an identity when everyone is comfortable?
And that's the part nobody tells you.
You don't necessarily notice yourself disappearing. Because you're still there.
You're working. You're laughing. You're answering messages. You're eating dinner.
You're paying bills. You're functioning beautifully.
You just slowly stop recognizing the person doing all of it.
Like a stranger has been using your body for years and, frankly, has terrible taste.
And maybe that's why this recent moment hit me differently.
It wasn't really about what happened. It was about everything it reminded me of.
The tiny negotiations. The silent adjustments.
The things I convinced myself weren't important.
It's just hair. It's just jeans. It's just perfume.
It's just makeup. It's just being quieter. It's just behaving more.
Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.
Until you have a whole personality made out of “it's fine.” That's the funny part.
I was apparently very good at being fine. Olympic-level fine.
Gold medal. National anthem playing.
Meanwhile, somewhere underneath all that fine, I was slowly disappearing like a fucking unpaid intern.
And I don't even hate the woman who did it. She loved someone.
She wanted her marriage to work.
She thought compromise meant:“I'll meet you halfway.”
She didn't realize she was the only one carrying a map.
So she kept walking. Kept adjusting. Kept shrinking.
Thinking maybe if she became easier to love, everything would eventually feel easier.
What a charming little theory.
It turns out you can make yourself smaller and still not become easier to keep.
Who knew? So no.
I'm not having some dramatic revenge awakening.
I'm not interested in becoming hotter, louder, richer, happier, or more successful just so somebody can regret losing me.
What a tiring fucking hobby.
I don't want to be someone's regret. I want to be myself. That's it.
Which, apparently, is now an ambitious long-term project.
If I'm loud, I'm loud.
If I'm ridiculous, unfortunately, that's a permanent feature.
If I laugh too much, humanity will survive.
If I wear something someone doesn't like — I suppose we'll all have to be brave.
If I have an opinion— thoughts and prayers.
I'm done treating my personality like a public nuisance that requires a permit.
I'm done editing myself before anyone even asks.
I'm done walking into a room wondering: “How much of me can I safely bring today?”
All of it.
Bring the whole fucking woman.
The loud one. The soft one. The ridiculous one.
The angry one. The sentimental one.
The woman who talks too much. The woman who laughs too loudly.
The woman who wears jeans. The woman who likes perfume.
The woman who occasionally makes questionable decisions and then has the audacity to learn from them.
All of her. Because I've spent enough time trying to be digestible.
I'm not a fucking meal.
And maybe that's the strangest thing about growing back into yourself.
It isn't glamorous. There is no montage.
No triumphant orchestra.
Mostly it's just sitting somewhere alone and suddenly realizing: Oh. I miss me.
Not the relationship. Not the person.
Not the life I thought I was supposed to have.
Me.
And that's a very inconvenient thing to realize after you've spent years becoming someone else.
But here we are. Apparently the woman I thought I'd lost wasn't dead.
She was just buried under years of compromise, silence, and excellent manners.
So I'm digging. Slowly. Messily.
With absolutely no intention of putting the dirt back.
And if anyone finds the old version of me somewhere underneath all this— please return her immediately.
She's overdue.
I've been waiting long enough.
And this time, I'm not asking anyone if she's allowed to stay.
No comments:
Post a Comment