Monday, 21 September 2026

I didn't loose myself at once

I Didn't Lose Myself All at Once. 

Something happened recently. Nothing dramatic.

No screaming. No slammed doors.

No cinematic rain scene where I dramatically walk away while an Adele song plays in the background.

Just a conversation. A few ordinary words. A familiar face that somehow felt unfamiliar.

And then I went home and started remembering things I hadn't realized I was still carrying.

Funny how that works. Sometimes one small moment doesn't break your heart.

It just opens the drawer where you've been keeping all the pieces.

And suddenly there they are. All the little things.

The things you stopped doing. The things you stopped saying.

The parts of yourself you quietly put away because they were apparently too much.

Too loud. Too playful. Too emotional. Too opinionated. Too expressive. Too yourself.

And you tell yourself it's fine. It's called compromise.

It's called maturity. It's called keeping the peace. It's called love.

Apparently, there are many sophisticated names for slowly disappearing.

Who knew? I used to think losing yourself would feel dramatic.

Like something would explode. Instead, it was incredibly boring.

One small adjustment. Then another. Then another.

Until one day you look in the mirror and think: Who the hell is this woman?

And the really twisted part? She isn't miserable.

She's functioning. She's smiling. She's doing what she's supposed to do.

She's just missing.

Like someone took the original version of her and quietly replaced her with the “easier to live with” edition.

Very efficient. Very practical. Five stars for customer service.

Zero stars for personal identity. And maybe that's what finally pissed me off.

Not losing someone. Not being left. Not even being disappointed.

It was realizing how many times I had left myself first.

For peace. For love. For someone's preferences. For someone's comfort.

For the possibility that if I became just a little quieter, a little softer, a little easier -everything would somehow work.

Spoiler: It didn't.

And I'm not angry at the woman who did it. She was trying.

She thought love was supposed to cost something.

She just didn't realize she was paying in pieces of herself.

But I think I've reached the point where I'm no longer interested in being the most convenient version of me.

I don't want to be easy. I want to be real.

If I'm loud, I'm loud. If I'm ridiculous, congratulations.

If I laugh too much, you'll survive.

If I have an opinion, apparently the world will continue spinning.

If I wear something you don't like — tragic. Please alert the authorities. 

Because I'm starting to understand something: I don't need to become someone new.

I need to stop abandoning the woman who was already there.

The one I buried under years of be careful, be quieter, don't make it worse, don't be too much.

She's still in there. A little bruised. A little sarcastic.

Possibly more dangerous now. But still there.

And I think she's finally done waiting for permission.

So no grand revenge arc. No dramatic transformation montage.

No desperate need for anyone to notice.

Just me slowly picking up the pieces I once called insignificant.

Putting them back where they belong.

And maybe, someday soon, I'll look into the mirror and recognize the woman looking back.

Not because someone finally chooses her. Not because someone finally understands her.

Not because someone finally says she's enough.

But because she finally understands that she never needed permission to be herself.

And honestly? After everything that's probably the most savage thing I could do.

Come back to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment