Everything Finished
So apparently, today is the day I receive the official memo.
Not a conversation. Not a proper goodbye.
Not even the dignity of a dramatic final speech where somebody throws a glass against a wall and screams something emotionally significant.
No.
Just a WhatsApp message.
“I met your dad and everything finished.You should start on the process of divorce documentation and let me know when you need support from me financially or others.Thanks.”
Thanks.
Oh. Okay.
Nothing says the end of a marriage quite like “Thanks.”
Very corporate. Very efficient.
Very please rate your divorce experience from one to five stars.
Apparently, this is how my marriage gets its closing credits.
Not with music. Not with some grand final conversation.
Just: Please proceed to divorce documentation.
Because apparently after everything, the final boss was not heartbreak.
It was administration.
And here's the strange part. He met my dad.
Apparently, something was finished there.
But he didn't tell me anything about a divorce process when we actually met.
No warning.
No: “I think we need to end this.”
No: “I'm going to ask you to start the divorce process.”
Nothing. Then today— surprise. Plot twist delivered via WhatsApp.
Apparently my emotional life now comes with push notifications.
And before anyone gets the wrong idea—
No. I'm not writing this because I want him back. I don't.
I'm not secretly hoping this message is some elaborate reverse psychology technique.
I'm not sitting here waiting for him to suddenly realize: “Oh my God. I made a terrible mistake. She's actually the love of my life.”
Please.
I've watched enough Chinese dramas to know better. And frankly, I'm tired.
What hurts isn't necessarily the divorce itself.
It's the strange brutality of having something that once occupied so much of your life reduced to a few sentences that sound like instructions from an office administrator.
Start the process.
That's it. A relationship that took years to build.
Years of long distance. Then marriage. Years of compromises.
Years of trying to make something work. Years of waiting.
Years of becoming quieter when I used to be loud.
Years of learning how to behave when I used to simply be.
And now the conclusion is apparently: Please begin paperwork.
Beautiful. Absolutely poetic. Shakespeare is somewhere rolling in his grave.
Meanwhile, I'm here trying to figure out whether I should cry or ask the lawyer about photocopy requirements.
Because that's the thing nobody tells you about endings.
Sometimes the end isn't dramatic.
Sometimes it arrives looking incredibly ordinary.
A WhatsApp notification. A sentence. A task.
And suddenly you're staring at your screen thinking: Oh. So we're really doing this.
I spent the last year holding on. Not because I was stupid.
Not because I couldn't see reality.
Not because I was secretly desperate to keep a marriage that had already changed.
I held on because I wasn't ready. Financially. Emotionally. Practically.
And because sometimes you keep waiting when you don't know what else to do.
Maybe that's the part that stings the most.
I spent so much time wondering whether there was still a future here.
And now I'm being asked to prepare the paperwork for the ending.
Well. At least the universe finally stopped sending mixed signals.
It just sent a fucking administrative memo. And perhaps I should be grateful for the clarity.
Because I don't want to spend another year living inside a question mark.
I don't want to wonder whether he's coming back.
I don't want to wonder whether he still cares. I don't want to decode silence.
I don't want to analyze three words and turn them into a prophecy.
I don't want to audition for a position I already held.
I don't want to keep shrinking myself in the hope that one day someone will decide I'm finally enough.
I'm tired of that job. I quit.
And maybe this is where the story gets interesting.
Because yes— the marriage is ending.
But I am not. The woman who spent years compromising herself isn't getting another assignment.
She already completed that project.
The hair can go. The jeans can come back. The perfume can come back.
The makeup can come back. The loud laugh can come back.
The ridiculous personality can come back.
The woman who used to take up space without apologizing for it?
She's coming home. And this time, I'm not asking permission.
So yes. I'll deal with the documentation. I'll deal with the lawyer.
I'll deal with the paperwork.
I'll deal with whatever bureaucratic circus comes next.
Apparently divorce is less tragic love story and more government-sponsored scavenger hunt for documents.
Fine. Give me the checklist. But don't mistake my compliance with surrender.
I'm not begging. I'm not chasing. I'm not bargaining for love. I'm not replacing him.
I'm not even looking for another man.
I'm simply standing here, looking at the ruins of something I once tried very hard to save, and realizing: I don't have to rebuild it.
I can walk away. And maybe that's the savage part.
Not that I'm angry. Not that I'm bitter.
Not that I'm going to spend the next ten years explaining what he did.
It's that one day, all of this will simply become something that happened to me.
Not something that defines me. So yes. Everything finished.
Maybe his version of everything.
Maybe the marriage. Maybe the waiting.
Maybe the woman who kept hoping something would change.
But not me.
The marriage can end. The waiting can end.
The version of me who kept disappearing to keep someone else comfortable can end.
And if this is really the final chapter of that story— then fine.
Close the file. Stamp the paperwork. Archive the fucking marriage.
Because whatever comes next...
I'm finally writing it with my own name on the page.
No comments:
Post a Comment