I spent the last few weeks dreading a meeting that, in the end, barely felt like a meeting at all.
I had imagined it so many times.
What would I feel when I saw him? Would my heart race?
Would I be angry? Would I cry?
Would I suddenly remember everything?
Would all the things I had carefully buried come crawling back out of their graves?
Apparently, my imagination had a much better script than reality.
Because when the moment finally came…
I felt nothing. Not the dramatic kind of nothing.
Not the I’m pretending I don’t care kind of nothing.
Just a strange, quiet absence.
Like someone had turned the volume down on a song I used to know by heart.
There was a time when this person could change the temperature of my entire day with one message.
One word. One silence. One little shift in tone.
I could spend hours dissecting a sentence that probably took him three seconds to type.
And today?
I looked at him and thought…
Oh. That's it.
Oh. How beautifully underwhelming.
I had prepared myself for emotional warfare.
Turns out, there wasn't even a battle.
Just two people standing in the aftermath of something that once mattered enormously.
And maybe I expected too much.
Not love. Not an apology. Not some grand declaration.
Not even a conversation about us.
Just something human.
A simple, “How have you been?”
Maybe, “How is life treating you?”
Something that says: I remember you are a person.
Instead, the interaction stayed practical.
Numbers. A card. Things that needed to be handled. Then silence.
And suddenly I realized something that hurt in a completely different way.
Sometimes people don't break your heart by leaving.
Sometimes they break it by showing you just how ordinary your absence has become to them.
That's a different kind of death. Quiet. Almost polite.
No screaming. No slammed doors.
No dramatic ending worthy of a movie.
Just the slow realization that the person who once occupied so much space inside your life can now stand a few feet away from you and barely ask how you've been surviving.
And strangely enough…
I didn't want to chase the conversation.
I didn't want to ask, “Don't you want to know how I am?”
I didn't want to remind him that I exist.
I didn't want to pull words out of someone who wasn't offering them.
Because if I have to ask someone to be curious about my life…
I'd rather have the silence. At least silence doesn't pretend.
So I sat there. Waiting. Not for affection. Not for reconciliation.
Just waiting for the practical thing I came for.
And somewhere between the lobby, the silence, and the ridiculous amount of anticipation I had carried for weeks, I had one almost laughable thought:
I lost more sleep over this than this meeting deserved.
Seriously. My brain spent weeks preparing for a hurricane.
The hurricane showed up, checked the paperwork, mentioned a bank card, and went upstairs.
😂
There is something almost darkly funny about that.
I spent nights rehearsing emotions that never arrived.
I was afraid of seeing him. And then I saw him.
And discovered that the person I had been so afraid to face was no longer living in the same place inside me.
Maybe that's what healing looks like sometimes.
Not forgiveness. Not forgetting.
Not suddenly becoming grateful for everything that happened.
Just standing in front of something that once had the power to destroy your peace…
and realizing it doesn't have the same access anymore.
I won't romanticize it. It wasn't beautiful.
It wasn't some cinematic moment of closure.
It was awkward. Cold. Ordinary. Almost painfully ordinary.
But perhaps that's the point.
Some endings don't come with a final conversation.
They come disguised as an ordinary morning.
A hotel lobby. A few practical words.
A silence that tells you more than a thousand explanations ever could.
And then you realize:
You don't need to beg for warmth from a room that has already gone cold.
You don't need to knock on a door someone isn't opening.
You don't need to audition for the role of someone worth caring about.
And you definitely don't need to convince anyone that your life is worth asking about.
So when this is over, I'm going downstairs.
I'm getting coffee. I'm getting pastries. And I'm going home.
Because after everything…
I have finally learned that when someone gives you nothing,
You don't have to turn yourself inside out trying to find something hidden underneath it.
Sometimes nothing is just nothing.
And sometimes nothing is freedom wearing a very boring outfit.
Today, apparently, mine comes with coffee and a pastry.
I'll take it.
I've survived worse breakfasts.
No comments:
Post a Comment