WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THREE MONTHS?
Someone says they’ll go somewhere, work their ass off, and send me money.
They’ll take care of me. And the horrible thing is I know that comes from love.
That’s what makes it harder. Because I’m not angry that someone cares about me.
I’m angry that they feel like they have to.
Those are two completely different things, but when you’re already drowning, they somehow get tangled together until you can’t tell whether you’re being held or being reminded that you can’t stand on your own.
I hear: “I’ll take care of you.”
But somewhere inside my head, it translates into: “You can’t take care of yourself yet.”
And suddenly I’m fighting an argument nobody actually said.
Three months. That number keeps echoing in my head.
What happens after three months?
Do we have another meeting?
“Congratulations. Your emergency support period has ended. Please select a new suffering package.”
Maybe there’s a subscription plan. Three months of financial assistance.
Six months if you upgrade. Premium includes emotional damage, anxiety, and one complimentary existential crisis.
Very affordable. Ten out of ten. Would not recommend.
Because I don't want this. Not because I don't appreciate the help.
I do. God, I do. And maybe that's part of why I feel so conflicted about it.
Gratitude and shame are surprisingly good roommates.
They can sit next to each other in the same room and make you completely miserable.
You can be grateful someone is willing to sacrifice for you…
while simultaneously hating yourself for needing the sacrifice.
You can love someone deeply and still desperately want them to stop having to worry about you.
You can accept help…
and still feel like every rupiah comes with a tiny invisible receipt attached to your dignity.
And that's where my anger comes from.
Not entitlement. Not laziness. Fear.
Fear that this temporary situation will quietly become my permanent identity.
Fear that people will start looking at me and seeing someone who needs to be maintained.
Fear that I'll get comfortable being rescued.
Fear that I won't find my way back to myself.
And perhaps most of all: fear that I won't become useful again.
That's a horrible thing to admit. Because I know I'm not actually useless.
I know that. On paper, I'm still a human being with skills, ideas, hands, a brain, experience, and an unreasonable amount of stubbornness.
But emotions don't care about evidence.
Sometimes your brain looks at your empty bank account and decides that's your entire résumé.
Apparently my current financial situation is now my professional qualification.
Excellent. Five stars.
Would definitely recommend this psychological experience to absolutely nobody.
And I don't want someone else to spend their strength compensating for the fact that mine has been depleted.
I don't want someone else to work themselves into the ground while I stand there feeling guilty for breathing.
I don't want to become a permanent emergency.
I don't want to be someone's unfinished responsibility.
I want to work. I want to earn. I want to contribute.
I want to have enough money that helping someone else doesn't immediately feel like I'm stealing from my own future.
I want to open my banking app without preparing emotionally for the horror movie.
I want to buy something ordinary without conducting a forensic investigation into whether I deserve it.
I want to pay my own bills. I want to rebuild savings.
I want to have an emergency fund instead of being the emergency.
That last one matters more than I can explain.
I don't want to be the emergency anymore.
I want to be the person who can handle one.
And maybe that's why the question— “What happens after three months?” —hurts so much.
Because I don't have a satisfying answer yet.
The divorce process needs to end.
My life needs to settle. I need income. I need something stable.
Something fast enough to stop this constant feeling of falling.
Not necessarily some grand career. Not some glamorous reinvention.
Not a miracle. Just something real.
Something that gives me a floor again.
Because right now I'm trying to build a future while standing on a surface that keeps moving underneath me.
And it's exhausting. There are days when I feel like I should be doing more.
Days when I feel guilty for resting. Days when I feel guilty for needing help.
Days when I feel guilty for not having figured everything out already.
And then I remember: I'm trying to rebuild my life while one chapter is still being legally torn apart.
Of course I'm tired. Of course I'm scared.
Of course I don't have a perfectly formatted five-year plan.
I'm not a fucking corporation. I don't have a quarterly earnings report.
Although, considering my current financial situation, the shareholders would probably demand my resignation.
And still I don't want to surrender to this.
That's the part I wish people could understand.
When I lash out, sometimes it isn't because I don't appreciate what someone is offering.
Sometimes it's because I appreciate it too much, and I don't want that kindness to become the thing holding my entire life together.
I don't want love to turn into obligation. I don't want help to turn into dependency.
I don't want temporary survival to become a permanent arrangement.
And I don't want the people I love to spend their lives paying for the consequences of a chapter they didn't write.
So yes. I'm scared. I'm frustrated. I'm embarrassed. I'm angry.
Sometimes I feel completely useless.
Sometimes I feel like I've somehow become a spectator in my own life.
But underneath all of that is still one very stubborn thought: I want to get myself back.
Not the old version. Maybe that version is gone. Maybe that's okay.
I just want a version of myself who can stand up again.
Who can earn again.
Who can make decisions without calculating who will have to rescue her afterward.
Who can hear, “I'll take care of you,” and actually be able to answer: “Thank you. But you don't have to carry me forever.”
That's the future I'm trying to reach. Not because I don't need anyone.
Because I want to be able to love people without needing them to save me.
And if I sound desperate for a quick solution right now…
it's because I am.
I need something that can settle me down once the divorce is finally over.
I need income. I need stability. I need a direction.
I need one solid piece of ground. Because I've spent enough time surviving.
At some point, I would like to start living.
And maybe that's the most reasonable unreasonable request of all.
I don't want someone else to save me.
I just need a way to become capable of saving myself again.
No comments:
Post a Comment