There’s a particularly cruel joke hidden inside ending a marriage.
Sometimes you don't just lose the person. Sometimes you lose the whole fucking house.
Not the building. The people inside it. The voices.
The laughter. The kitchen conversations. The stupid little routines.
The people who slowly stopped feeling like his family and started feeling like mine too.
His sister. His niece. His in-laws. His dad. His aunt. His cousins.
I didn't know I was collecting pieces of a home. I thought I was simply living.
And then one day, I realized I couldn't stay in that house anymore.
And suddenly I was standing at the front door, looking back at everything I had grown attached to, wondering which parts of home I was supposed to leave behind.
Because nobody gives you instructions for this.There is no:
DIVORCE SURVIVAL GUIDE: WHAT TO DO WITH THE FAMILY YOU ACTUALLY LOVED.
No little checkbox:
Very efficient system. Very humane. The marriage ends.
And apparently that means you don't just leave the person.
You leave the hallway where you used to laugh.
The dining table where conversations stretched longer than they needed to.
The rooms where people welcomed you without asking whether you still belonged there.
And that's the part that fucking hurts. Because I don't want the marriage back.
I don't want him back. But fuck,I miss the people in that house.
And that is such a strange kind of grief. Because I can't even be angry at them.
They didn't break my heart. They didn't make the decisions.
They didn't ask me to leave. They were simply part of the home I had built my life around.
And now I'm supposed to know how to love them from somewhere outside it.
How the hell does that work?
Do I still call? Do I still visit? Do I send birthday messages?
Do I knock on the door like a stranger?
Do I stand there awkwardly and say, “Hi. I used to belong here.”
Apparently there is no official protocol for that.
Which feels like a rather significant oversight in the human experience.
Because here's the thing: I can leave the marriage without deciding that every beautiful thing inside it was a mistake.
I can walk away from him without rewriting the people I loved.
I can accept that the house is no longer mine and still be grateful for the people who once opened the door for me.
That's the part I refuse to make ugly. I don't want to turn good memories into evidence.
I don't want to turn good people into villains.
I don't want to pretend I never cared just because caring now hurts.
Some people were genuinely good to me.
Some of them became family before I ever realized how temporary that word could be.
And maybe that's the cruelest lesson.
Sometimes you leave one person and accidentally lose access to five others you never wanted to leave.
Not because the love disappeared. Not because anyone suddenly became a stranger.
But because sometimes a door closes for one reason...
and everyone on the other side becomes part of the goodbye.
That's fucking brutal. Because I don't want to go back inside.
I know that. But I still miss what it felt like to be welcomed through that door.
I miss sitting with them. Laughing with them.
Being part of something that, for a while, felt like mine. And maybe that's what I'll carry.
Not the marriage. Not him.
The memories of the people who made that house feel warm.
The people I loved without realizing I was borrowing them from a life that might one day end.
So yes. I'm leaving. And I'm not asking anyone to hold the door open for me.
But there are people inside that house I will probably miss for a very long time.
And maybe that's okay.
Because not every goodbye means: I stopped loving you.
Sometimes it means: I still love you. I just can't live there anymore.
And maybe that's the most painful kind of goodbye there is.
Not leaving because the people meant nothing.
Leaving because the life around them no longer had a place where you could stay.
So I won't pretend I don't look back. Of course I look back.
There are people in that house I never wanted to lose.
And if a part of me still aches when I think about them—
well.
Apparently the heart doesn't understand property law.
It doesn't care whose name is on the deed. It remembers where it felt at home.
And sometimes that's enough to break your heart all over again.
No comments:
Post a Comment