There’s a particularly cruel joke hidden inside ending a marriage.
Sometimes you don't just lose the person. Sometimes you lose the whole fucking house.
Not the building. The people inside it.
His sister. His niece. His in-laws. His dad. His aunt. His cousins.
People who, somewhere between meals and conversations and stupid little laughs, stopped feeling like his family and started feeling like mine too.
I didn't notice it happening. That's how homes work, I suppose.
You don't wake up one morning and announce, “Today I shall become emotionally attached to these people.”
You just keep showing up. And one day, you're attached.
Congratulations. You have accidentally developed a heart.
Terrible career move. And then the marriage ends.
And suddenly I'm standing outside a house I used to enter without thinking, wondering whether I'm still allowed to knock.
That's the part nobody prepares you for. Not the legal shit. Not the paperwork.
Not the awkward conversations.
The quiet absurdity of realizing that you can lose an entire collection of people without having a single falling-out with any of them. There should really be a form for this.
Reason for losing contact:
Fantastic. What a beautifully designed system.
Because I don't hate them. That's almost the problem.
I loved them. I still do.
Which is terribly inconvenient when you're trying to leave a life behind.
I don't want the marriage back. I don't want him back.
But sometimes my brain goes: “Okay, we're done here.”
And my heart quietly pulls out a tiny photograph of his family and goes: “Counterpoint.”
Rude. Absolutely fucking rude.
I wish emotions came with an unsubscribe button. Not even a dramatic one.
Just: Are you sure you want to continue caring about these people? YES / NO This action cannot be undone.
I'd probably still click yes.
Because some people were never the problem.
They were simply standing inside a life I could no longer stay in.
And that's a very strange kind of grief.
Because how do you mourn people who are still alive?
How do you miss people you haven't stopped loving?
How do you explain: “Nothing happened between us. That's exactly why this hurts.”
There is something particularly vicious about losing good people through a bad ending.
If they had hurt me, at least I could be angry. Anger has handles.
You can carry it. You can throw it somewhere.
But this? This is just sadness with excellent manners.
It sits quietly. Doesn't break anything.
Doesn't cause a scene. Just occasionally whispers, “Remember them?”
Thanks. I was having a perfectly functional afternoon.
And maybe that's why I don't want to rewrite the past.
I don't want to turn everyone in that house into characters in a tragedy just because the marriage became one.
They weren't villains. They were people I loved.
Some of them made ordinary days feel warm. Some of them made me laugh.
Some of them became family without ever asking for the job.
And now I have to accept that sometimes people can be family to you without being yours to keep.
That's a fucking cruel concept.
Imagine meeting people, loving them, building memories with them and then discovering there was a hidden clause: Access to these humans is conditional upon the continued existence of your marriage.
Nobody read me that part. I would have at least complained to management.
Although, considering how management handled the marriage. Perhaps not.
So yes. I'm leaving. But I'm not leaving because the people inside meant nothing.
I'm leaving because I can't live that life anymore. Those are not the same thing.
I can close the door without setting fire to the memories.
I can stop being his wife without pretending I never loved being part of his family.
I can move forward without dragging everyone I loved into the category of things I must now hate.
I don't need that kind of emotional bookkeeping. I've already lost enough.
So maybe I'll miss them. Maybe I always will.
Maybe one day I'll hear someone's name and feel that tiny ache again.
And maybe I'll smile.
Because there are worse things than remembering that you were once loved by a family you didn't get to keep. And maybe that's what I'll take with me.
Not the marriage. Not him. The people. The laughter.
The ordinary moments that became precious only after they became impossible.
The proof that, for a while, I belonged somewhere.
Even if belonging turned out to have an expiration date.
And that's the part that still gets me.
I don't want to go back. I don't want the house.
I don't want the life. I just wish I could have taken a few people with me when I left.
But apparently humans aren't furniture.
You can't put them in a box, label it “KEEP”, and carry them into the next chapter.
So I left them where they were. And I walked away. Still loving them.
Still grateful for them. Still occasionally thinking: Fuck. I really didn't want to lose you.
But I did.
Not because you stopped being family to me. Because sometimes a door closes on a marriage and accidentally closes between you and people who were never the reason you needed to leave.
And there is no clever way to fix that.
No punchline. No grand lesson. Just one particularly shitty truth:
Sometimes you can leave the right door... and still miss everyone on the other side.
No comments:
Post a Comment