There’s a particularly cruel joke hidden inside ending a marriage.
Apparently, buried somewhere in the fine print, there’s a clause nobody shows you: “Access to the people you came to love through this marriage is conditional upon the continued existence of the marriage.”
No one points it out. No one asks you to initial the page.
You just discover it when the marriage starts ending.
And suddenly you realize you might lose an entire fucking house.
Not the building. The people inside it.
His sister. His niece. His in-laws. His dad. His aunts. His cousins.
People who, somewhere between meals and conversations and stupid little laughs, stopped feeling like his family and started feeling like mine too.
I didn’t notice it happening. That’s how homes work.
You don’t announce, “Today I shall become emotionally attached to these people.”
You just keep showing up.
You laugh. You eat. You sit around doing absolutely nothing important.
You become familiar. And one day, somehow, you’re home.
Congratulations. You accidentally developed emotional property rights.
Unfortunately, they’re apparently not legally recognized. Then the marriage ends.
And suddenly you’re standing outside a house you used to enter without thinking, wondering whether you’re still allowed to knock. There should be a form for that.
Reason for losing contact:
Excellent. Very humane. Because I don’t hate them.
I loved them. I still do.
Which is rather inconvenient when you’re trying to leave a life behind.
I don’t want the marriage back. I don’t want him back.
But my heart apparently has terrible reading comprehension.
My brain says: “We’re done here.”
My heart pulls out a photograph and says: “Yes, but remember his family?”
Oh, fuck off.
If they had hurt me, I could be angry. Anger has handles.
This doesn’t. Some people were simply standing inside a life I could no longer stay in.
And that’s the particular cruelty of it. I can leave the marriage without rewriting the people.
I can close the door without pretending everything behind it was bad.
I can stop being his wife without pretending I never loved being part of his family.
Some people made ordinary days warmer. Some made me laugh.
Some became family without ever asking for the job.
And now I have to accept that sometimes people can be family to you without being yours to keep.
That’s fucking cruel. Because I don’t want the house.
I don’t want the life. I don’t want to move back in.
I just wish I could have taken a few people with me.
But apparently humans aren’t furniture.
You can’t put them in a box marked KEEP and carry them into the next chapter.
So I left them where they were. And I walked away.
Still loving them. Still grateful for them.
Still knowing, with the kind of honesty that hurts: Fuck. I really didn’t want to lose you.
Maybe that’s all I need to say.
I don’t have to make the house ugly just because I had to leave it.
I don’t have to call the good rooms mistakes.
I don’t have to forget who made me feel at home there.
Some doors close because you can no longer live behind them.
That doesn't erase what happened inside. So I’ll keep the memories.
I’ll keep the laughter. I’ll keep the people exactly where they belong in the part of my life that was real.
And I’ll keep walking. Because I don’t want to go back.
I just wish I hadn’t needed to leave everyone behind.
Some doors close on a marriage. Not everything behind them stops mattering.
No comments:
Post a Comment