Monday, 21 September 2026

Can i keep them, please

There’s a particularly cruel little joke hidden inside the ending of a marriage.

Nobody tells you about it. You think you’re losing a husband.

You don’t realize you might also be losing an entire constellation of people who had nothing to do with the breaking.

His sister. His niece. His in-laws. His dad. His aunt.His cousins.

People who somehow stopped being his family and became, somewhere along the way, my people too.

I laughed with them. Ate with them. Sat around doing absolutely nothing with them.

Talked nonsense. 

Shared ordinary days that didn't look important enough to remember until suddenly they became the things I would give almost anything to experience one more time.

Funny how that works. While you're living it, it's Tuesday.

When it's gone, it's history. And now I’m left wondering what the fucking etiquette is.

Do I still call? Do I still send birthday wishes? Do I ask how everyone is?

Do I show up? Do I disappear? 

Do I suddenly become some strange footnote in their family history?

There once was a woman here. She married into the family.Then the marriage imploded.

Please remove her from the group chat. 

Apparently there’s no handbook for this. 

No neat little pamphlet titled: WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU STILL LOVE YOUR EX-FAMILY BUT THE MARRIAGE HAS LEFT THE BUILDING.

Maybe they should print one.

Right between How to Divide the Furniture and How to Pretend You're Fine at Family Gatherings.

Because here’s the part that makes me angry: I don't hate them. Not even a little.

I don't want to erase them. I don't regret knowing them.

I don't wish I could go back and unmeet them.

Quite the opposite. I fucking loved being around them. And that's the part that hurts.

Because I can be finished with the marriage and still mourn the family.

I can look at the man and feel nothing and remember his family and feel an ache somewhere I can't quite name.

Apparently the heart didn't receive the memo.

The brain says: “Relationship terminated.”

The heart says: “Cool. But what about his aunt?”

The brain: “We're moving on.”

The heart: “Sure. But his niece was adorable.”

The brain: “Please cooperate.”

The heart: “I don't fucking work here.”

Honestly, I blame the heart.

Terrible administration. No filing system. No boundaries. 

Zero respect for clean exits. And maybe that's the cruelest part of all.

Sometimes you don't lose the people you needed to lose.

You lose the people you desperately wanted to keep.

People who didn't betray you. Didn't hurt you. Didn't choose the ending.

People who simply happened to be standing inside a life that eventually collapsed.

Collateral damage. 

Such an ugly phrase for something that can feel so heartbreakingly human.

Because how do you explain that?

How do you say: “I don't want your relative anymore, but I still wish I could have you in my life.”

How do you keep loving people when the road that brought you to them no longer exists?

Maybe you don't.  Maybe sometimes you just carry them.

Quietly. In memories. In photographs.

In stupid little stories you still remember years later.

In the sound of someone's laugh. In the way a particular family gathering felt.

In the strange ache that arrives when you realize: Oh. I may never sit at that table again.

And that's a grief of its own. 

Not the grief of wanting the marriage back. I don't. 

Not the grief of wanting him back. I don't. 

It's the grief of realizing that an ending can take innocent people with it.

People you didn't want to lose. People you never stopped caring about.

And there is something almost offensively unfair about that.

Because I can accept that some doors need to close.

I can accept that some chapters need to end.

But nobody warned me that sometimes the door closes and you're standing there thinking,

“Wait. Can I at least keep the people?”

Apparently not. Life has terrible customer service. 

No refunds. No exchanges. 

No option to keep the good parts while returning the fucking disaster.

So maybe I’ll miss them. Maybe I always will. And maybe that's okay.

Because missing someone doesn't mean you want your old life back.

Sometimes it simply means: You mattered to me.  You were good to me. 

You became part of me. And I wish the ending had been kinder to us.

That's the part I don't want to turn bitter.


I don't want to rewrite good people just because the story ended badly.

I don't want to make them strangers in my memory just because circumstances made strangers of us.

So no, I didn't just lose a husband. I lost a little universe I had grown attached to.

And maybe the saddest part is knowing that some of the people in that universe were never the ones I wanted to lose.

They were simply part of the price of leaving. And that's one hell of a fucking price.

Because sometimes the deepest grief isn't: “I lost the person who hurt me.”

It's: “I lost the people I loved because the person who brought me to them is no longer part of my life.”

And there is no savage comeback for that.

No clever ending. No beautifully packaged lesson.

Just me, standing at the edge of a life that used to be mine, missing people I still love,

and learning the ugliest kind of letting go— the kind where nobody did anything wrong,

and you still have to say goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment