After last night, I thought I was okay. Then I read his text again.
And again. And somehow my brain decided that one simple message was enough to open the entire archive of our relationship.
Fantastic. Apparently, I have unlocked a new feature: overthinking premium.
He's coming back to Indonesia.
Not for me. Not to see me.
He's coming because he needs a favor. I know that.
He made that clear.
There is no secret romantic mission hiding behind his trip.
And yet… Here I am.
Thinking. Wondering. Imagining. What if?
God, I hate those two words.
What if?
What if things could be different this time?
What if seeing each other again changes something?
What if we finally talk?
What if we realize that maybe everything isn't completely broken?
What if there's still something left?
What if we could fix this?
And then my brain, which occasionally remembers that it is supposed to be the rational one, comes along and says:
Girl. Seriously?
Because I already know what he said.
He told me himself. He lost the chemistry. He lost the spark.
He said there was nothing in common between us anymore.
Those aren't exactly the words you want to hear from someone you've built a life with.
They're the kind of words that don't just hurt.
They move in, unpack their bags, and start paying rent inside your head. And then there's the other thing he said.
He won't divorce me unless I ask him to.
I still don't know what I'm supposed to do with that sentence.
Because what does that actually mean? Does it mean he doesn't want the responsibility of making the decision?
Does it mean he doesn't care enough to end it?
Does it mean he's leaving the door open?
Or is it simply a way of saying, “I'm not going to do anything unless you do it first.”
I don't know. And apparently my brain has decided that not knowing is an invitation to invent approximately 437 possible explanations.
Thank you, brain.
Very helpful.
Meanwhile, my heart is behaving like it has never heard any of the things he said.
It doesn't care about chemistry. It doesn't care about spark.
It doesn't care about logic. It just remembers.
It remembers the good moments.
The closeness. The familiarity. The feeling of belonging to someone.
And suddenly, because he's coming back to Indonesia, a tiny little part of me is whispering: Maybe.
Maybe we could still fix this.
Maybe this isn't really the end.
Maybe seeing each other again will remind us of something.
Maybe we'll talk and something will shift.
Maybe he'll look at me differently.
Maybe I'll look at him differently.
Maybe…
And then I have to remind myself: He didn't say those things because I misunderstood him.
He said them clearly. He said the spark was gone.
He said the chemistry was gone. He said we didn't have much in common.
I can't erase those words simply because I'm hoping for a different ending.
And that's where this gets painful.
Because my heart wants to believe in possibilities that my mind knows are probably unrealistic.
My heart sees his return and thinks: This could be a chance.
My mind says: He literally told you how he feels.
My heart: But what if people change?
My mind: They do.
My heart: What if he misses me?
My mind: You don't know that.
My heart: What if he realizes he made a mistake?
My mind: Please stop writing fan fiction.
Honestly, sometimes I wish my heart came with parental controls.
“Are you sure you want to access this emotion? This action may cause severe emotional damage.”
Yes. Apparently, I keep clicking "continue."
And maybe that's what scares me most about seeing him.
Not him. Not the conversation. Not even what he might say.
It's what I might feel. Because what if I see him and all those feelings come rushing back?
What if I suddenly feel hopeful again?
What if one smile is enough to make me forget an entire year of pain?
What if I'm standing there trying to act normal while internally my heart is screaming,
“WAIT. IS THIS A SECOND CHANCE?”
Meanwhile, he might simply be thinking, “I need to get this favor done.”
That would be both hilarious and devastating.
A perfect combination.
My personal specialty.
So I'm trying to keep myself grounded.
He's coming back. That's all I know.
He's coming back because he needs something from me.
Everything else is a question mark.
I don't know whether he'll want to talk.
I don't know whether he'll be warm or distant.
I don't know whether seeing him will feel familiar or completely strange.
I don't know whether there is anything left between us that can actually be repaired.
And I definitely don't know whether he wants to repair it.
That's the part I have to remember. I can't rebuild a marriage by myself.
I can't manufacture chemistry.
I can't create a spark for two people.
And I certainly can't love hard enough for someone who has already told me that he doesn't feel the same way anymore.
As much as I wish I could.
God knows I've tried. Maybe that's why I'm so anxious.
Because somewhere inside me, there is still a tiny bit of hope.
Not the big, dramatic kind. Just a tiny, stubborn little thing.
The kind that refuses to die even after being repeatedly told that the relationship is over.
And I don't know whether I should protect it… or finally let it go.
Maybe September will answer that.
Maybe seeing him will make everything clearer.
Maybe it won't. Maybe we'll talk. Maybe we'll barely talk.
Maybe we'll laugh. Maybe it'll be awkward.
Maybe I'll cry afterward.
Maybe I'll go home and realize I don't want this anymore.
Or maybe I'll spend the entire night staring at the ceiling asking myself why one person can still have so much power over my emotions.
Honestly, I don't know.
Right now, all I know is that my head understands something my heart is still negotiating with.
He said the spark was gone. He said the chemistry was gone.
He said we had nothing in common.
And yet… some stupid little part of me is still wondering:
What if?
Maybe that's not hope.
Maybe it's just grief refusing to leave quietly.
Maybe it's the last little piece of me that still wants the story to have a different ending.
I don't know.
But I'm trying not to judge myself for feeling it.
I'm allowed to hope. I'm allowed to be scared.
I'm allowed to overthink. I'm allowed to still care.
But I also need to remember that whatever happens when I see him again, I don't want to lose myself trying to find us.
Because maybe the real question isn't: Can we fix this marriage?
Maybe it's: If there is nothing left to fix, will I finally be brave enough to accept that?
And honestly?
I don't know if I'm ready for that answer yet.
So for now… I'm taking it one day at a time.
And trying very hard not to let my heart write a sequel before the first story has even decided how it ends.
Wish me luck. I'm going to need it.
No comments:
Post a Comment