Friday, 28 August 2026

After a Year of silence, he finally contacted me

After a year of silence, he finally contacted me.

Not because he missed me. 

Not because he wanted to ask how I was doing.

Not because he suddenly woke up one morning and thought, “You know what? I should probably talk to her.”

Nope. 

He needed a favor. Of course he did.

Honestly, if this were a comedy, I'd laugh. 

Actually, I am laughing. A little. Mostly because if I don't laugh, I might have to deal with the other emotions underneath it, and frankly, I'm not sure I have the energy for that today.

A year. That's a long time. A year of silence is not an accident.

It's a choice. 

You don't accidentally go twelve months without talking to someone. 

You make a decision, whether consciously or not, to leave them alone.

And I learned to live with that silence. At least, I thought I did.

Then one day, my phone lights up. His name. 

After a year. For a second, I just stared at the screen.

You know that weird moment when your brain needs a few seconds to process what your eyes are seeing? Yeah. That.

And then I opened the message.

He needed something from me. That's it.


No dramatic “I've been thinking about you.” 

No “How have you been?” 

No “I'm sorry I've been gone.” 

Just…  I need a favor.


Well. Hello to you too. 😂


I suppose I should be grateful. 

At least the universe has a sense of humor.

It could have sent me flowers.  

Instead, it sent me a favor request. 

Very on brand.

And the annoying thing is, despite everything, seeing his name still did something to me.

I hate admitting that.  

I wish I could say I looked at the message and felt absolutely nothing.

Just: Who is this person? Oh, right. Anyway…


But no. 

For a brief moment, the past came rushing back. 

A year of silence suddenly felt very small.  

And that's what surprised me. 

Not that he contacted me. 


But that some part of me still reacted.

Some tiny, stupid, inconvenient part of my heart apparently didn't get the memo that we were supposed to be strangers now.


I wanted to ask so many things.   

How have you been? 

Why now? 

Did you ever think about me?  

Did you ever wonder how I was doing? 

Did you ever miss me? 

Did you ever feel guilty? 

Did you ever regret anything? 


But I didn't ask. 

Because what would be the point? 


He contacted me because he needed something.

And maybe that's all this is. 

Maybe I'm the one tempted to give the moment a meaning it doesn't have. 


Maybe sometimes a message is just a message. 

Even when the person behind it once meant everything.


That's a strange kind of grief. 

When someone isn't completely gone, but they're no longer really part of your life either. 

They're somewhere in between.

A familiar stranger.

Someone whose name can still make your stomach drop, even after twelve months of silence. 


And maybe the hardest part isn't that he needed a favor.

Maybe it's realizing that a favor was enough reason for him to break a year's worth of silence.

That's the part that stings. 

Because apparently, after all this time,I wasn't worth a conversation.

But I was worth a favor. 


Ouch. 

Thank you, universe. 

Very subtle. 

Five stars for emotional damage.


Still, I don't want to turn this into another story where I make myself the victim and him the villain.

People make choices. 

Sometimes those choices hurt other people. 

Sometimes they don't even realize how much they hurt them. 

And sometimes you have to accept that you'll never get the explanation you wanted.


Maybe that's okay. 

I'm learning that closure doesn't always come from the other person. 

Sometimes closure is simply looking at the situation and saying: Ah. So that's what this was.

And moving forward anyway. So yes.


After a year of silence, he contacted me. 

Because he needed a favor.

And somehow, that tiny message managed to bring back a year's worth of memories. 

Funny how life works.

You can spend twelve months trying to heal, rebuild yourself, convince yourself you're finally okay… 

and then one notification appears on your phone and your nervous system goes: "Oh, we're doing THIS again?”


Apparently. But maybe this time is different.

Maybe I'm different. 

Maybe I don't need his message to mean anything more than what it actually means. 

Maybe I can help if I choose to help. 

Maybe I can say no if I don't want to. 

Maybe I can acknowledge that I still have feelings without letting those feelings drive the car. 


And maybe that's what healing actually looks like.

Not becoming completely numb. 

Not forgetting. 

Not pretending you never cared.


Just being able to feel something… and still choose yourself.


So, after a year of silence— Hello. I didn't expect to hear from you. 

And definitely not like this. But here we are.


Life really does have a weird sense of humor. 

And apparently, mine comes with notifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment